Today Tracy Brabin, who is bidding for re-election for the Batley and Spen constituency has vowed ‘no cuts to school budgets’ if elected on the 8th of June.
Tory school funding changes could mean a dramatic loss of vital money for local schools. Calculations by teaching unions say that in total Batley and Spen schools will lose £9.4 million if the Tories have their way.
Tracy Brabin believes in a better plan for education, a properly funded education system which allows every child to reach their potential, fill our skills gap and build a more productive economy.
Tracy has a track record as a powerful advocate for local schools, she tackled the Secretary of State for Education numerous times in the House of Commons and has campaigned alongside local Headteachers against planned funding cuts.
Tracy’s vow comes as Labour lays out its pledges for Education:
- Stop the cuts to school budgets with a real terms increase in funding
- Reduce class sizes to under 30 for all five, six and seven year olds
- Free school meals for all primary school children
- Restore education maintenance allowance for college students
- Restore student grants for university students
- Scrap fees on courses for adult learners looking to re-train or upskill
- The plans will be funded from the £20 billion that will be raised by reversing the Conservative Party’s cuts to corporation tax. Labour has previously announced extending free school meals to all primary age children will be funded by levying VAT on private school fees.
Commenting Tracy Brabin said, “As someone who was born and educated in Batley and Spen I’m determined that our young people receive the best education possible.
Parents, teachers, Headteachers and I all know Tory planned cuts to school funding would mean disaster for education. We have a better plan, a properly funded education system so every child can reach their potential.
Properly funded schools, free school meals so no child goes hungry and smaller class sizes so 5, 6 and 7 year olds have more one on one time with teachers are all fair, common sense polices.
I have a track record of fighting your corner when it comes to education and a vote for me is the only way stop these damaging school cuts.”
Watch Tracy’s video on this subject here.